Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I forgot that I have a doctor appointment today!

OMG! I have a doctor appointment with my GI surgeon! Yes I'm only 22 but I have had two major surgeries. So I have to go talk with my doctor about an ongoing infection, which seems to have cleared up! So I may call and say I'm good! No sign of infection, although I would like to ask about having anal sex. Arg. Well I may as well explain my disease/surgeries....

So when I was a senior in high school (2002), I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, a chronic disease that affects the large intestine and may be controlled by certain medications. I was sent to OHSU Doernbecher's Children's Hospital in Portland. People can say what they want about OHSU, but they saved my life. Well I lived with UC for about two years before my doctor said enough. I couldn't get it to go into remission. I was having episodes of uncontrollable bowel movements. I would go to classes during the day and come home at night and go to sleep because it was draining me of all energy. I was having BMs upwards of 20 times a day, and any sleep I did get was interrupted by urgent BMs. The excruciating pain was crippling much of the time; I would often spend hours doubled over in the bathroom, groaning from it. The stress of the disease and school and everything else going on in my life was too much, so I was referred to a surgeon to have my colon removed.

I won't detail the surgery too much, but they made a 10-inch incision in my abdomen and took out five feet of my body that I don't miss. They made a temporary ileostomy, and also a j-pouch. After 3 months I went back for another surgery to reconnect my abdominal opening with my j-pouch (this link will take you to a resource for people with ileo-anal pouches). Now I have bowel movements like any other person except they aren't solid--since that's what the large intestine does, removes water from the poo--and more often than normal, about 4-6 times per day. So my only issue is potassium and sodium levels (both very important in brain and nerve function) in my body and hydration.

Since I have come out of the closet, I have wanted to experiment with anal sex, and I want to ask my doctor about her recommendations. I have a feeling that she will say no way no how, because all the literature I have found says it's not recommended. Apparently the tissue isn't the same as with a normal butt hole. Damn looks like I'm not going to have that option. Eek! I'll just have to do without...which is just fine! Well cheers. Off to have another fun filled day!

1 comment:

A Lewis said...

My gosh, and I thought i was just whizzing through all of my blog reading today...with the holiday stories, happy times, etc....and THEN I FOUND THIS POST OF YOURS.....wow....I've learned a little something. And, please....anal sex isn't all that it's purported to be. Quite frankly, I hate it.