Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Follow up: 20/20 report on Westboro Babtist Church


I know this is old news and I think I'm being a bit obsessed about it. But I just can't get over how funny these people are. The only part that truly upsets me is that the children are spouting hate and they don't even know what a "fag" is! As a gay Christian, I will try my hardest to convince the Christians around me that I'm not going to hell and that I don't necessarily believe everything the Bible says about homosexuality as other Christians. First is the often used Leviticus passage: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." (18:22). Since everyone says the King James version is the best translation, I've used that version. It's a word for word translation but as we know direct translation makes something lost in the transfer. A better translation might be, "Don't have sex with a man as you would with a woman..." But since I couldn't have sex with a woman, I am not sure this would apply to me. Also I think some of the meaning behind this passage (which pointedly the bible does not ever mention female homosexuality save for the passage below), has something to do with male prostitutes. I don't know if this is true, but just as there were female harems there may have been male harems where men would go to have sex with men to appease the gods. Again that's totally unfounded, but it sound good, right?

The other passage is in Romans in chapter one: " 24 So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. 25 They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. 26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. 27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved." I wanted to use the KJV of this passage but it didn't make any sense to me...which is why think there's a lot to be taken and left in this translation, which makes it incredibly clear that Paul believed homosexual acts to be a sin. I used to believe this exact translation, but looking back at it again I see one thing that I don't believe. The word used is "lust" but there is something different about modern homosexuality: it's based on attraction, yes, but I don't think I could ever love a woman as I could love a man. So for me, it's not just because women don't even give me a semi--as it were--it's because I know I could never feel for a woman the way I could feel for a man.

It's not that I don't like women. I do indeed love them, some of the best people in my life have been women, but I've never "crushed" a girl like I have men. I have never felt the tingly feeling many men describe when they were boys...only recently have a even felt that--and it was from hugging a man who I like very much (though he's a closeted case for now). The emotional and physical intimacy I can experience with a man is unparalleled by any other force.

No comments: