Sunday, December 30, 2007

Saturday Madness

So I've decided that my family are all a bunch of wackos. I went to my grandparents'/great-grandfather's/great-aunt's place yesterday to pick up my cousins to take them to OMSI for the day. My grandparents and great-aunt were going to a boys basketball game, and they asked my mom and I to come feed my great-grandfather dinner and check on him when we got back from OMSI. The only problem with that is that we weren't going to get back from the museum until six or seven, and he likes to eat at four or five. Well, my mom went in to talk to my sometimes-crazy great aunt. It so happens that she was in one of her bad moods...she yelled at Mom and said she was staying home to take care of great-grandpa. Seriously, Mom hadn't even said anything but "hi" and "Cybil" snapped at her...anyhoo, that's boring but there's more...

So my grandfather, who is normally very levelheaded, is being a jerk now too. To be fair, I think this all started when I left the coat he gave me (a company coat, bright blue and emblazoned with the company logo) at his house after Christmas, I had every intention of giving it back nicely and saying I wanted to donate it to one of his employees. Instead, I got the call a few days after Christmas, asking why I had left the coat there, and I (nicely) told him the above story. Well he got all mad and got off the phone quickly. So I think I hurt his feelings really badly. But the drama continues: I get a call from him yesterday morning, which I didn't answer--we were going to be there in a couple hours so I didn't feel like talking on the phone. He was calling I was sure about me working at the farm, cleaning up and making it pretty around the redneck trashed place. So basically that's been my job (which I've been looking to replace for some time now). I told him last week that I was done working out there, but I'm not sure he listened. So he's been angry wuith me for not going out there to work. So Saturday when I showed up to pick up the girls, he called me into the barn to talk. He asked where I was and why I wasn't there to work. And I said I was looking for work elsewhere and I reminded him that I was not working for him anymore. But in regular grandpa fashion he got mad and had to lecture me about work ethic and how if I don't have any it makes me less of a man. Yada, yada, yada... I decided I didn't need to be lectured like a 12 year old, I said so, and I left. He was calling me "chicken shit" among other things as I walked out, but I've decided I'm not going to be treated like property anymore. I know he loves me, but he can get super controlling in certain situations (they are many). I can take him in small doses, but his being a workaholic stresses his wife out, and granna likes it sometime I think, but that's a story for another day.

But in good news! I went to OMSI yesterday and I had fun. I'm not sure if the munchkins liked it, I think they had fun some of the time. The mechanics room was fun, and we dissected owl pellets (there was a cute guy there!). It was super fun, but they closed and we had to go home. We went to get pizza for dinner, and we rented Ratatouille, which was super cute. I love Pixar/Disney films, and this one was no disappointment. We got the girls to calm down after a long day, and we got them to go to sleep. It just tells me that I can have kids someday. I had a blast, and I would do it again anytime.

Let's see the weather is nice today and we may go hiking. Have a wonderful Sunday!

1 comment:

A Lewis said...

We need to swap family stories someday. Suffice it to say that at this point in my life, I'm making moves toward being more simple, real...no drama, no adults who don't know how to act like adults, no games or emotional tease. Just life. Clean. Simple. Easy. Sorry that you have to listen to that shit. It's not right. It's not fair. It's not adult. See you soon....HAPPY NEW YEAR