So last night I had a guy friend over. I have a gut feeling that he is gay, but he refuses to come out of the closet. I completely understand where he's coming from. He's Asian and Catholic, so he has a cultural and religious slant against being gay--although he doesn't seem to have a problem with my homosexuality; in fact, he's surprisingly accepting of me, even though he knows I think he's cute. Well, I keep trying to work him out of the closet, but I think just being a friend showing him that you can still be a gay Christian--well a follower of Christ. But even though he's been very unsuccessful with female relationships, he can't come out yet, I must respect that as his very good friend and brother. Let's hope he doesn't marry and have kids, because that can be hurtful in the end for all involved people.
So since that prospect of him being by boyfriend is out the window, I am going to try some social networking here in Portland. I have no clue about the gay scene in Portland, but I'm definitely not into the club scene. No cruising, just friends, and if it develops into more that's great, if not even better. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent and like to be challenged to learn more about the world around me. For me a friendship should be about exchanging ideas and informing each other about different world views previously unknown. So if I get bored in a friendship, it's not because I don't like you, I just may not feel like I can have a sophisticated conversation about whatever. My options for conversation are very open, current events and politics, LGBT issues, science, music, gaming, movies, reading, plays/musicals, and even sports. I like all sorts of things, so I like a conversation that transforms over time, moving from one topic to another, arguing and debating issues in today's society. I love a good debate, even if I don't win it. I especially love a good debate if you can convince me that my stance is wrong or vice versa.
I say all this to say that I'm going out this Friday night to find my niche in the Portland gay scene. It's not about sex; I can watch porn for that. I want some friends, being cooped up for the past six months has given me unfathomable energy! And maybe I'll bring along my aforementioned friend, and we can talk about him later ;)
So today I am going to be searching for clip art (ew!) and pictures for the family calendar. Mom started making a family calendar about seven years ago and it stuck. We have pictures of family and all the family birthdays, anniversaries, etc. in there. I always get stuck with finding funny little clip art to illustrate each family member. If I had started earlier I may have made up little avatars in Adobe Illustrator for each family member, but since there are only six days until Christmas it's crunch time. I might turn on the news today while I do it or ESPN or Logo or watch reruns of Project Runway while I search for pictures. And since I'm going to be totally bored today, I'll probably post again today if time permits. I'm going to have to go pick my grandma up at the train station today...and turn in some forms for the state. So I'll have some stuff to do, but I should have some amount of free time because I'm just ADD like that.
3 comments:
"Cultural and religious slant against being gay"? Maybe. But it still doesn't mean that he's not. Plenty of people around with those slants who are as gay as May baskets.
LOL i love you Lewis! you're so funny. I should bring him to meet you at coffee! hehe. Then you can use your gaydar on him.
"So if I get bored in a friendship, it's not because I don't like you, I just may not feel like I can have a sophisticated conversation about whatever."
I totally agree with you.
Post a Comment