Thursday, December 6, 2007

a sad outlook for our conservative friends

Quote (Zabriskeeee) From YouTube: 'Christianity has NEVER been about love, it's always been about control through fear. "Do what we say and give us your money or you're going to Hell." '

Well that's what Christianity has become...If you read the New Testament, Jesus actually said the two greatest commands are "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength," and "Love your neighbor [i.e., everyone around you] as you love yourself." So while some verses condemn homosexuality--which I don't agree with personally--the original "teachings" of Jesus, whether you believe he was just a man or actually God incarnate, were filled with acceptance and love. Hell he ate and drank with the "garbage" of his day: tax collectors etc.

So whether or not you agree with the beliefs of certain radical groups, you have to look at the facts of the tome (the scriptures) of the basis of the religion. Hell, there's even a whole chapter (ch. 13) of 1 Corinthians dedicated to explain what "love" is and how it should be expressed...and as a gay Christian, I am ashamed to call myself a "Christian" because of people like this. It makes me very sad: I have to hold back the tears while watching this video. I would really like to watch the whole documentary, however, to learn more about what these far, far rightists believe about gays.

8 comments:

A Lewis said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my site today. Excellent that you are in Portland with me! I really enjoyed this post....and I am so right there with you on all of it. I quote the "love the Lord your God with...." thing regularly to my ultra religious right wing family. It's clear, it's simple, it's the truth. Wishing you a happy (light snow showers filled) day.

Anonymous said...

I am a conservative, but I don't agree that God hates those who are gay. I don't agree with the lifestyle or think it is God's plan, but I don't hate people who are gay and I can't imagine treating people as those "Christians" in the video clip are treating others -- anger and hate are not of God, and our place is not to condemn. The way that you live your life is between you and God and everyone will someday have to face God and then God can deal with the way that we have lived (gay or not). The thing that bothers me though is when the gay communtiy condemns and judges Christians and assumes what their views are and judge how they live their lives. It is the same thing that gays complain about but in reverse. People in general need to be less judgemental and more loving and willing to listen to and love others even if they don't follow or believe in their lifestyle. It is possible for a gay person and a strong "conservative" christian to be friends and love each other and agree to disagree.

Nathan Garvison said...

I don't think that this is necessarily a problem...but it sounds like you still disapprove of my lifestyle. You can say you don't but you're a bit vindictive. I only think this cult is so radical, it's funny. Perhaps they don't really believe this, but it's funnier if it's not a joke lol!

Anonymous said...

Why am I vindictive for stating what I believe and how I view things? I am not judging anyone I am just stating my beliefs as you are. I care about each and every person that I come in contact with and try to show God's love to them no matter what they believe or what their lifestyle is. Maybe something got crossed in translation -- I guess you can read anything into someones statements depending on your beliefs.
Have a great Holiday season!!

Nathan Garvison said...

vindictive isn't the right word. perhaps being acceptive of gays isn't enough. i don't think it's a sin and you know how well i know the bible. there is a great resource i've found for bible-based acceptance of homosexuality as a natural god-given love, just as heterosexuality is. i apologize for my comment before. I know you meant well. i just want to inform all christians everywhere that god makes us all and doesn't make mistakes. w00t!

Nathan Garvison said...

oh the link for that resource is http://www.lionking.org/~kovu/bible/toc.html

Anonymous said...

I know that God doesn't make mistakes, but people do. I am not saying that you are making a mistake -- you have to make your own decisions and connect with God and do what He places in your heart and follow that. It is not my place to tell you how to live or if you are right or wrong. I care for you, want the best for you and hope that you find much peace and happiness in your journey called life. And I pray that your physical health continues to improve.
I would love to see you sometime -- it has been so long!!

Nathan Garvison said...

please send me an email. ngarvison@gmail.com this is silly to talk this way